Sunday, April 26, 2009

Patience is a Virtue, Or So They Say!

Seems as though Fishing Opener will never get here! Looking at my Fishing Opener Countdown it says 12 more days. This weekend saw some much needed rain cover the area as it was getting pretty dry. Every year it is amazing how magically it turns green almost overnight. I have managed to apply the first spray my apple trees, till the garden, clean out the raspberries, and harvest my first picking of asparagus. I fired up the sprinkler system on Wednesday only to see that water must have leaked through freezing in the main line and split it wide open. Repairing it Thursday evening allowed me to run each of the 15 stations revealing at least 10 heads in need of repair. Never a lack for something to do, I have a pretty good list started.

We have a Sportsman Warehouse Store nearby that is closing. After picking up some seed potatoes Saturday morning, I headed over to see what deals or inventory they still had. Although well picked over I did manage to scarf up the last of a few Jigging Raps, Chubby Darters (I have no idea why, never caught a fish on them yet), 3 nice folding knives, about 100 panfish jigs, and a very nice propane fish fryer. I probably didn't really need the cooker but everything was 70% off and thought it would be fun to try. If my brother drives his truck to opener this year, I might just bring it along. Another great buy was 50% off the CO2 inflated life preserver belts. At my age treading water isn't exactly my best talent. Rumor has it that most men that have falling out of the boat and drowned have their zippers down. I always put one on before I get into the boat, are hardly noticeable, and give me that extra security 100% of the time. Getting a couple more will allow me to have my guests wear them keeping any possible rescue activities to a minimum. I eventually picked up 2 for my brother Steve as well. This really hit home this fall as a man my age was reported missing on Mille Lacs when his boat drifted into the shore with no one in it. The family is waiting for the ice to clear and the water to warm up in hopes his body will be recovered soon. I prefer to stay away from those headlines.

Another thing that I was able to stock up on were 7/8 oz Pixie Spoons and #4, 5, and 6 Blue Fox Super Vibrax Spinners. These 2 baits have been deadly for both Silvers and Humpy's on the Kenai River. Fishing the slow current areas around the islands is definitely the ticket. Here I am holding a dandy silver salmon that fell victim to the Super Vibrax. Watching Larry Csonka's North to Alaska this morning, he had a segment of fishing silvers on the lower Kenai. His guide's technique was to anchor at the top of a near shore hole, casting a Kwikfish into the current and letting it wobble stationary until a fish swims up an grabs it. This method is very effective however we feel there is more action casting the lures. As the fish enter the river on the high tide they will basically follow the shoreline, staying in the slack current areas to rest before their next push up river. We like to anchor in these slack areas and fan cast, bring the lures across or with the current. The humpy's tend to be just there however the silvers are another story. They tend to hit with vengence taking off like a torpedo heading for it's target. The key is to prevent them from heading to the main river current which if successful increases it's chances for freedom expotentially! I know exactly where they were fishing and like last months post about Babe Winkleman, it brought back great memories. It's nice to see something on TV and say.........I've been there before! There is much to do the next few days like trying to get the Ranger out for it's 2009 maiden voyage before heading up north. Seems like I just put my ice fishing stuff away................oh well.

5 comments:

Dewey said...

The sprinkler system??? That's why I intend to move to the woods. No more &*&^%%$#@ yard to worry about. I agree in how we seem to run out of time and there's so much to get ready for. Heck, I have to pick up my boat this week, dump the lift and dock in the lake Saturday and then prepare for turkey hunting in Wisconsin and then "DeweyFest". I still haven't even looked in my tackle box yet!
I thought we were supposed to get "less busy" as we got older.... Oh yeah, then there's that 70 acres in Wisconsin that require my attention.....

Dave Anderson said...

John was in today helping me with a MDT application. We pulled up Google Earth and checked out your 70 acres. We discussed your plans for the future which means I'll have to get you a Packer hat so you're a little less conspicuous! He picked up a Wisconsin calendar for your friend. He is quite the son and I thoroughly seeing him. You did good there Dewey Ness!

Dewey said...

Thanks Dave. I am proud of him.....
But, do I really gotta wear a Packer hat??

NeenahPete said...

Coincidentally, I was browsing on the website Fancast and there's a segment from a Spike channel show, Manswers, that's about the most dangerous sport, fishing. More dangerous than football, boxing, skydiving? Anyway, here's your link (sorry, you have to get past the other boring stuff about beer and bikinis in the same show): http://www.fancast.com/tv/MANswers/96275/1095752793/Manswers-Ep.-105/videos

Dave Anderson said...

Dewey, I'll get you the camo one first (http://www.packersproshop.com/products/hats_caps/adjustable_caps/sku_703067f6bb6ded4d/35f247df00cfd7d4/
) You can ease into it slowly!

Neenahpete, Awesome video and of course they are right. How do you think I ended up with the Ranger 620..........let's see dear, seems like the older I get the harder it is to feel safe in my current boat. It's work the last 2 times and I am working on a new one as we speak. Can't put a price on safety, ya know!