Friday, February 7, 2020

Life's Milestones

My new 3 Insurance Cards!
Well this week I had the pleasure of celebrating my 65th birthday.  I remember when my grandpa Roy turned 65 then my dad, now me!  Certainly did not bring it in with a lot of fanfare as the last month, in between a couple of fishing trips, was filled with what seemed to be an endless task of applying for Medicare, cancelling my regular health insurance, signing up for Plan B so I can get an aftermarket Medicare Advantage policy as well as Part D, Drug coverage.  Now instead of 1 medical insurance card, I have 3 of them....one for Medicare Part's A and B, one for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Advantage policy, and one for BCBS's Part D drug plan.  Just more stuff to lose!  Admittedly I was surprised that my current total Medicare cost is quite a bit higher than my standard Medical insurance but that's another story.  It's quite a feat just to make sure everything is paid for so there is no lapse in coverage.  Also the US Government is not very forgiving on the sign up dates.  I did it on line and although it was easy, I got a call to verify my information.  A little research shows that according to the records their are 6,500,000 social security numbers being used who's age is 112 or older.  Well documented organizations state that there are only 42 people in the world older than 112 so there is definitely some fraud happening here and it's certainly costing all of us our rightful monies that both ourselves and our employers have paid in over our lifetimes.  You wonder why they say Social Security is going broke!...Ok, enough of the soapbox however it is a good reminder that if you have yet to turn 65 do your research as it will pay off, or call me, I got a lot of experience!  Either way the worst thing is the need to switch pharmacy's as my current one does not have a contract with BCBS...ugh!!  Oh well, I have all this time right!  I'd rather be fishing.

Keeping it looking good!
Speaking of Fishing I got a call from Lake Area Canvas, the canvas place that originally made my Bimini top for my boat.  Back around December 3rd I dropped it off as it seemed like the zipper areas were coming undone and wanted them fixed.  It was ready so seeing it's on the way to my dealer Frankie's I decided to stop by, pay the bill a huge $21, and pick it up. Loading into the truck the next step was to head to Frankie's and drop it off but also to check the status of my boat.  Well, everything is done except to replace the bait well aerator switch control, and that should be done by early next week.  When I do get the boat back it will have a new front axle, all new 17 inch black chrome mag rims, all new tires, a new Minnkota 460 battery charger, all broken plastic trim pieces in the interior replaced, some outside cosmetic work done on some dock rash as well as cleaning up some previous repairs, a new console installed because the HDS 12 live would not fit into my existing console, The bait well switch fixed, she should be just like new.  Having paid for our annual 47th annual Leech Lake Opener, I am anxious to get things ready and going.  I am also anxious to try a few new techniques this year for walleyes, especially using the rattle type baits and swim baits like we did last October on Long Lake in Wisconsin.  It's sometimes difficult to give up something that is an almost guaranteed however catching walleyes with a new technique can be very fun and rewarding for sure and my goal is to give it an honest effort. these include Rapala's Rippin Rap ,  Jigging Rap, and Slab Rap, Salmo's Chubby Darter, and Lindy Glow Streak along with a few others.  We are only about 2 months away from open water and because of the early snows the ice thickness is minimal so Ice out could be early!

1 comment:

Jeff King said...

THAT's a cool boat...Ya know Dave I'd never been in a fast boat until I came to Mexico. I went fishing with a guide at Lake Pechachos and he had an older Ranger with an a 250 Evinrude on it. Well, it didn't start so well and the battery was almost run down before it finally took life. Then Juan slowly idled it out away from the dock with all the smell and sound that we all know and then.... he hit the throttle and it threw us back like an Arctic Cat El Tigre, I was impressed. And I thought our old pre horsepower sleds were fast on the Kenai.