Thursday, June 19, 2008

Father's Day Fishing


My part time job is doing the occasional guide trip for my good friend Bill Lundeen (http://www.lundeens.com/) at Lundeen's Tackle Castle. I usually help on the weekends when Bill is working hard in the shop. On Sunday I had the great pleasure to fish with Jeff and Annie. It was a short trip and with the cold front that just arrived the night before, we had little time to get some fish. We had a nice NW wind blowing, not hard enough to be uncomfortable yet good enough for a perfect drift. We first tried a favorite spot of mine offshore from Eddies. 3 drifts later Jeff hooked a nice 26 inch fish. We got it in and it was pretty beat up, missing an eye and had a ugly looking sore on it's tail. One more drift and we moved to Sherman's flat. Again with the wind, we could drift along an edge and we hit another nice fish. We did another drift but come up empty. I headed for my killer spot (in years past, at least) but it is very rocky and it wasn't exactly easy to fish. After donating 3 rigs to the rock Gods, I decided to move. We headed south to Roland's flat and drifted the outside edge. This time dad allowed his daughter to reel this fish in, another 26 incher. It was complete, I did my job as best I can, we ended up with 3 very nice fish despite a noticeable cold front. Dad and his daughter were happy. As I dropped them off on the dock I reflected on the wonderful relationship this father and daughter have. I bet everyday is Father's Day for them.

1 comment:

Dewey said...

You may not be a dad but you did a good thing. Congrats......