Monday, April 6, 2020

Crazy Weekend

One of Vic's Favorite fish, Channel Catfish
The events of this weekend have delayed (as good excuse as I could come up with!) my posts but things are settling down enough to put some thoughts online.  The weekend started Friday morning when I missed a call from Paul Wenaas, my friend from Chippewa Falls.  Having to drive to Eau Claire that morning, I promised him a call on the way as it was more convenient but really contemplated the conversation.  Unfortunately I was right, although not unexpected, my first real boss, Vic Wenaas, Paul's father died Friday morning.  He was 92 so it was no surprise.  When asked to give a presentation while I was working often the introduction involved where I attended school when having needed a background of my "stature" as President of Precision.  My go to answer would say that I have an Associate's  Degree in Electronic Technology and my MBA from the Victor Wenaas School of Business Management.  That went well with those guys who had degrees from MIT and MBA's from Harvard! Vic owned the gas station that was once owned by my grandfather.   I started working at 15 and at that time I had 2 jobs, half the nights was loading chickens in a truck for the local chicken processing factory and half being a gas station attendant, the kind that would pump your gas and wash the windshield.  In the fall Vic said I had to make a decision as he needed a full time guy, work for me or the chicken truck.  It was no use running to my dad for advice because he really didn't care but rather he gave me a lesson,  make up your own mind .  So at 15.5 I decided to be a grease monkey and work for Vic for 75 cents an hour.  This was in July of 1970 and I worked there until January 25th, 1976.  My favorite story is while working on car repairs on Saturday my job was to do the oil changes while he might be changing a water pump in the other bay.  He would always have WAXX, 104.5 FM Country on the radio.  This was the early 70's so I cut me teeth on Johnny Cash, Eddie Arnold, Porter Wagner, Hank Snow, Dolly Pardon and all the Older country stars.  I still can name damn near every song from 50 years ago.  Anyway Eddie Arnold's song, Cattle Call started playing and while changing oil which prompted me to start singing the part where he does the cattle call, I liked that part!.  Vic came over to me and put his hand on my shoulder, looked at me and said........"You know something Davy, I can't sing either!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JX50rZae2M  Vic loved to catfish in the summer and often we'd go down by the buffalo bridge or for a real adventure, up to Eau Claire and fish NSP point where the Eau Claire River met the Chippewa River.  There were always a few guys along like my dad, Art Kelly, and Daniel Van Pelt.  Our favorite bait was chicken livers that we harvested out of the back of Doughboy Foods chicken processing plant in Eleva.  It is with regret that in my archives there are no pictures of Vic but I know where catfish stood!  

Tim Pulling Pork for his Annual Pig Roast
The second event was the passing of my good friend and neighbor Tim Kuntz.  Saturday night at around 7:00 pm my good neighbor Tim died at home from stage 4 urinary tract cancer.  He found out on Feb 2, and 8 weeks later we hauled him out of the den where his hospice bed was.  He was 63.  Tim was always the center of the neighborhood, had a separate garage always had a cold beer, simply drive by and if the light shined through the window, it was your indication that you were welcome.  A couple years ago he moved an enclosed trailer in front of the window enough so you could not see the light so a few of use complained that we no longer knew he was in the garage.  Enough so that he went out and bought a neon store sign saying OPEN, with it wired to his light switch, if he was in the garage, the sign was definitely lit with the connotation, come on in.  Anyway for the last 2 months I saw him as much as permitted and every time I left I gave him a hug and told him that I loved him.  Tim's nickname was Tool man Tim,  proper name as he seemed to either have every to tool known to man or he could make something do.  Tim was the center of the neighborhood as he hosted the annual Superbowl Party to watch the Super bowl in his heated garage/man cave.  In the early fall Tim would get a 230 pound whole hog and have a pig roast, he was quite a BBQ chef as well he really enjoyed being the host.  The stories could go on but the reality is that it is over and after visiting Tim last Friday night, he was ready to say goodbye.  My grandmother Myrtle had a picture in her kitchen of a man praying and the prayer was...God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  Rest in peace my friend.

The last thing is a project involving my friend Greg Kinblom's idea to make a bracket for my John Deere Lawn tractor to change the way the dethatcher attachment connects to the front end of it.  Basically has made a bracket, adapting it to the hydraulic quick hitch which controls the lift from the drivers seat.  The quick hitch came with the snowblower attachment and works quite well.  It is very nice however not without some issues.  Although not related to his work, I did have to accommodate some of his holes by enlarging them somewhat.  The bigger issues dealt with once I attached the mower deck the front bracket of the deck hit the hitch.   Also when reattached the hitch would not lift, 15 minutes later it was discovered that the black hose was attached to the grey connector, after switching it worked great again.  Focusing on getting the lawn thatched and ready for fertilizing, things should go better this week.  Maybe there will be some pictures next post.  The original plan was to head to Lake Erie today however their is a 14 day quarantine for new arrivals so the Mississippi River is plan B.  The problem is the river is at flood stage and the peak will happen early this week.  I'm am sure we'll think of something!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Thanks Dave, he would appreciate it. He always daid he new you wpuld be successful.
Paul

Jeff King said...

Jeez Dave....so sorry for your loss, this time we're in is difficult enough. Peace and Love.